Published on Friday, 20 September 2013 07:07 Written by Abubakar Ibrahim and Ronald Mutum
A press release signed by the spokesperson of the State Security Service, Marilyn Ogar following shootings at the Apo Legislative Quarters has said, ” in the early hours of today 20th September, 2013, about 0030 hours, a combined security team went for an operation behind the Apo legislative quarters.”
“The operation was sequel to information obtained from two (2) Boko Haram elements Kamal ABDULLAHI and Mohammed ADAMU, who had earlier been arrested for terrorist activities. They led the security team to uncompleted buildings where arms were purported to have been buried underground.”
Ogar said, “No sooner had the team commenced digging for the arms, than they came under heavy gunfire attack by other Boko Haram elements within the area, which prompted immediate response from the security team. As a result, some persons were injured and twelve (12) others have been arrested in connection with the incident, and are making useful statements.”
According to the release, “Normalcy has returned to the area. Members of the public are advised to go about their normal businesses, as appropriate security measures have been emplaced to ensure the safety of citizens in the FCT.
“We want to reiterate the need for all Nigerians to be vigilant of their immediate environment and promptly report suspicious activities to security agencies. Our National security must remain the collective responsibility of all Nigerians,” she added.
Gunmen dressed in Nigerian army uniforms struck at the Abuja Legislative quarters at about 2.30am today, shooting sporadically, witnesses said.
FCT Police spokeswoman, DSP Hyelhira Altine Daniel, just confirmed the incidence and said that investigation is on going.
Witnesses claimed four people were dead while six others were injured.
The Nigerian Police is just arriving at the scene and evacuating people.
Witnesses also claimed that some identity cards of the alleged “soldiers” (gunmen) were found at the scene. Daily Trust
12 Boko Haram Suspects Arrested at Apo Quarters
No fewer than 12 persons suspected to be members of the Boko Haram sect were Friday picked up at Apo Legislative Quarters, Abuja, by the operatives of the State Security Service (SSS).
Deputy Director, Public Relations, of SSS, Marilyn Ogar, said the arrest followed a tip-off from Mohammed Adamu and Kamal Abdullahi who were earlier on allegation of terrorism.
The operatives of the SSS had invaded an uncompleted building used by the suspects at the Apo quarters where the suspects were arrested after sporadic shootings.
Oga said the some persons were injured during the attack. This Day